Hi all! I finished staining our kitchen island, and I’m ready to share how I did it with you. We’re all ooh-ahhing over how easy it was to make a big impact. It looks like a piece of furniture now. I’m kind of afraid to cook messy meals in here now. For awhile it will be simple meals until the newness wears off.
Here’s the before:
The first step of this project was adding batten to the island. You can read about it here. It cost less than $30 and about 3 hours to complete. Someone with more experience could have knocked it out in much shorter time.
After removing the doors and hardware, I sanded. I just used a sanding block. All over. I like to use a damp Handi-Wipe to clean the dust off, because they don’t hold as much moisture as a rag. Before staining I followed up with a tacky cloth.
My choice of stain was General Finishes Gel Stain, in Java. I’d read a lot of other blogs and they seemed most satisfied with it. You can purchase it on Amazon here. I only purchased a half pint. Although I was starting to sweat it near the end, it lasted with a little left over for potential future fixes. When staining you might want to consider wearing latex gloves.
Use a foam brush to apply. Here’s a view of the second coat (left) and the first coat (right) coverage. Quite a huge difference. I wiped away any globs I left with the foam brush. I waited a full 24 hours before applying each coat.
Here is the completed second coat. Still not pretty, and I was getting worried about the result.
24 hours later I applied the third and magic coat. The third coat is on the left, and the second coat on the right. Whew! It was the look I wanted.
Here’s the third coat. Then I had to wait 5 days for it to cure before applying polyacrylic. 5 whole long days! My middle name is not Patience. But I followed the rules.
While waiting I spray painted the oil rubbed bronze handles gold.
I applied three coats of polyacrylic with a 24 hour drying period in between coats. Patience again, which I don’t have. But finally…
Here’s a photo showing that I also did the inside of the doors.
A before and after.
I hope this was helpful. If you attempt this project, good luck and hang in there. It’s worth the effort.