I recovered my kitchen parsons chairs and I’m so in love with them. They’re so cheerful and colorful. I’d been wanting to do this for over a year, and I finally got around to it. I ordered the fabric from fabric.com. There are so many patterns to choose from that it took me awhile to settle on this one. I’m not an upholsterer, but this was pretty easy.
Here’s a picture of what they looked like, and my first one covered. There wasn’t anything wrong with them. I just thought they were drab.
I’m going to try and explain how I did this. I did not take the old fabric off. I was too afraid of making a royal mess, and wanted to preserve the original. First I took the chair apart. Not all parsons chairs are alike, so your’s might come apart differently. I bagged and tagged the bolts.
I worked on the bottom of the chair first. I cut out a piece of fabric that would more than cover it. I knew I would want to sew the front corners, so I pulled the fabric tightly and pinned where I wanted to sew it. Then I marked it with a pencil, and sewed the 2 front corners.
This picture shows the 2 corner seams and how it fits snug.
Then I flipped it over and stapled it in place, trimming the excess fabric.
The top was harder for me. I cut 2 pieces for the front and back, and stitched them together. I had to slip the sewn cover over the top and remove it several times until it fit snug. Once I had my first one sewn where it had a good snug fit, I removed it and created a paper template for the remaining 3 chairs.
Once I had a top in place, I just folded it under the bottom and stapled in place.
I then snipped little openings where the bolts needed to get through, and then reassembled.
Once I got through the first one, I felt more confident and rest was easy. It’s such a happy look and I’m so glad I did it.
Good luck with your own DIY’s!