Hi All! We’re having a wet spring here, which is a good thing. My gardens are growing and I’ve been able to keep up sewing pillow case dresses. I’ve committed myself to 70 dresses for this year’s goal. You can read about the cause here. I don’t care for the color orange, but this dress has so much flair that it’s one of my favorites.
Since I had only one orange dress to make, I used a lot of the orange trim that I had on hand. I made the ties from seam binding.
I made this ruffle by gathering lace hem facing using a baste stitch down the middle and pulling the thread. Then I adjusted the gathers, pinned it to the dress and sewed it on.
I had enough of this yellow fabric to make three of these dresses.
I think it has a feminine delicate look. You can read how to make a pillow case dress here.
I got the burgandy fabric from thrifted curtains. Since the color is deep and dark, I gave them special attention to make them girly.
I made fabric yo-yo’s and added cute buttons. You can read how to make fabric yo-yo’s here.
I had enough fabric to make 7 of these dresses.
In case I haven’t shared this before, I get most of my seam binding, lace hem facing and thread from antique malls. Vendors usually package vintage sewing notions in a group, at a really low price. Certainly much lower than craft supply stores. As long as the thread is mercerized, it’s strong and useful. I don’t know why, but I’ve rarely seen these items in thrift stores.
I sure hope the little girls who get these dresses will know they are special.