Hello, friends. Today I’m going to show you how I’ve been painting my kitchen cabinets and a little progress.
First off, I want to share my favorite painting tool: little plastic painter’s pyramids. I learned about them a few years ago. They are good for propping up flat surfaces without messing up your paint job. You can find different brands on Amazon, Lowe’s, Home Depot. The product claims that you can flip your project over while still wet, but I don’t. I wait at least for it to dry to the touch.
After removing and marking all hardware, I sanded everything. Then on the door fronts only I applied a coat of stain sealer. That was to help eliminate the wood grain grooves. I don’t know if it did much good or not, because I didn’t try any doors without it. Some wood grain grooves still show, but I’m assuming it’s not as bad as if I wouldn’t have used it. After it dried, I gently used a very fine grit sandpaper on them.
Then onto priming. I used my very favorite primer Zinsser Primer Sealer. I’m not being paid to promote this product. It’s just the best I’ve ever used. A little pricey, but so worth it. It prevents wood stain from seeping through, and it helps the paint adhere.
Then I waited 24 hours before painting. I don’t know if that’s necessary, but after priming for hours, I didn’t have time to paint anyway.
Finally all the prep work is done, and onto the fun stuff. This was the paint I chose. I don’t know how it will hold up, but for the price of it, it should last a good decade or 2. I’m just saying. I think it cost around two arms and a leg. Everything got 2 coats of paint with a 24 hour drying period between coats.
I did a couple of small cabinets, and then a lingering cold snap hammered us. Ouch. That meant all the stuff emptied out of drawers sat on my kitchen and dining room tables forEVER.
I want to mention that when I taped off the cabinets to apply a coat of paint, I immediately removed the tape while the paint was still wet. It meant I had to tape everything twice, but I didn’t have to worry about any paint getting peeled off with the tape. I used a brush and a roller for the cabinets, and the doors and drawers got sprayed. We bought this Wagner sprayer, and had to practice a little before using. We found out that it required 2 parts paint to 1 part water to get a nice spray. It was a time saver for sure. What would have taken me hours was completed in a few minutes.
The two cabinets I’m showing in this post were painted before the temperatures dropped.
The past few days have been wonderfully warm and I’ll be completing the finishing touches this week. I expect to be able to show a final result next week.
I hope this was helpful and inspiring.